Connect with us

News

WATCH video of drink-driver caught on M23 more than three times over legal limit

Police have released a video to highlight the dangers of drink-driving.

Published

on

The dash cam footage shows a van driver – who was more than three times the legal limit – driving almost entirely on the hard shoulder of the M23 southbound. He was also witnessed veering from side to side on several occasions before being stopped by officers.

The Citroen Despatch was reported by a member of the public, who saw it being driven erratically on the motorway, near Crawley, on the evening of Tuesday 25 June.

Police located the vehicle and detained the driver shortly afterwards. He was identified as Konrad Krzywonos, 39, a plumber, of Comptons Court, Horsham.

After failing a roadside breath test, the suspect was arrested and charged with driving with 124mcg of alcohol per 100ml of breath in his system. The legal limit is 35mcg.

At Crawley Magistrates’ Court on 24 July, Krzywonos was sentenced to eight weeks’ imprisonment, suspended for 12 months, and disqualified from driving for 30 months. He was also ordered to pay £85 costs and a £90 victim surcharge.

Sergeant Vicki Rees, of the Sussex Roads Policing Unit, said:

“The manner of driving evidenced in this video falls far below the expected standard of a competent driver.

“By getting behind the wheel while over the drink-drive limit, Krzywonos has taken a significant risk – not only did he pose a real risk to himself that day, he also posed a risk to all other road users.

“Drink and drug-driving is hugely irresponsible, and unfortunately we see all too often how it destroys lives on roads in Sussex – and elsewhere in the UK.

“Our main priorities are to keep people safe on our roads and to crack down on offenders, and anyone caught committing such offences will be dealt with robustly.

“I’d like to thank the member of the public who brought this defendant to our attention, and I’d continue to encourage anyone who suspects someone to be driving under the influence of drink or drugs to report it to us.”

Krzywonos was among 83 people arrested as part of Surrey Police and Sussex Police’s summer crackdown on drink and drug-drivers, which ran from 24 June to 7 July.

Of these, 29 have so far been convicted in court; the remaining have either been charged, released under investigation or released without charge.

If you’re prepared to drive under the influence of drink or drugs, prepare to face the consequences. These could include the following:

  • A minimum 12 month ban;
  • An unlimited fine;
  • A possible prison sentence;
  • A criminal record, which could affect your current and future employment;
  • An increase in your car insurance;
  • Trouble travelling to countries such as the USA.

People in Sussex can text officers on 65999 with the details of people they suspect of drink or drug-driving, or visit the Operation Crackdown website. 

You can also contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or report it online.

If you know someone is driving while over the limit or after taking drugs, call 999.

News

Give Crawley back its police, demands towns council leader

Crawley Council Leader Peter Lamb has called for the Prime Minister to return funding to Crawley’s police after he says new figures show cuts to police budgets are much higher than the new funding recently announced.

Published

on

In a press statement Cllr Lamb says that Sussex Police have lost 32.3% of their funding from central government, leaving local policing in a weakened state.

Speaking about the state of policing in Crawley, Cllr Lamb said:

“Following the loss of frontline officers, crime and antisocial behaviour are now the top issues residents raise with me on the doorstep. They are tired of seeing it in our town centre and across Crawley’s neighbourhoods. Only the police have the power to end the decline and only the Government has the funding to give us the officers we need.

“We deserve more from our Prime Minister than empty promises, it’s time he learnt to keep his word and gave Crawley back its police.”

Crawley Labour adds that this news comes on the back of recent revelations that despite 98% of police officers lost from the service in recent years having been cut from the frontline, around 7,000 police recruits will never see frontline duty.

Continue Reading

Trending