Connect with us

News

Two teenagers among three arrested after 19-year-old assaulted in Broadfield Barton, Crawley

Police are investigating an incident at Broadfield Barton, Crawley, on Sunday evening (12 January) in which a 19-year-old man sustained knife wounds during an altercation involving several other young men.

Published

on

Police are investigating an incident at Broadfield Barton, Crawley, on Sunday evening (12 January) in which a 19-year-old  man sustained knife wounds during an altercation involving several other young men. 

The attack happened shortly before 7.30pm and the victim was taken to hospital after he suffered serious injuries but not life-threatening injuries.

Three people have been arrested – a 26-year-old man on suspicion of wounding with intent; a 19-year-old man on suspicion of possessing a bladed article in a public place and a boy aged 16 on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm with intent. 

The 26 and 16-year-old remain in police custody and the 19-year-old man has been released on police bail until 13 February.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Elliott Whitehead said:

“We are appealing to anyone who may have witnessed the assault or has CCTV, dash cam or mobile phone footage of the incident to make contact with us.

“We have a dedicated response to reduce instances of knife crime and serious violence and there will be an increase in high visibility patrols in this area.  Please approach officers if you would like to raise any concerns you have or if you think you can assist with the investigation.

“Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously, telephone 0800 555111.”

You can report information to us either online or call 101 quoting Operation Dalmatian.

Lifestyle

Safety warning calls after two washing fires including one in Southgate, Crawley

Published

on

Firefighters are reminding householders of some simple safety steps when using electrical appliances such as tumble dryers and washing machines.

It follows two incidents in two days.

In the first incident firefighters were called after a pile of folded washing caught fire after being tumble-dried over the weekend.

A crew from Bognor Regis Fire Station was mobilised at 01.56am on Saturday to reports of a fire in a home on Lion Road in Pagham.

Upon arrival, firefighters found the property was heavily smoked logged, but thanks to a working smoke alarm, the three occupants had been alerted and had been able to escape from the property.

The fire started after the home owner had washed and tumble-dried some towels earlier on in the evening. These were then stacked and put in a hessian type bag in the hallway. But in the early hours of the morning, the towels, which had self-heated, began to smoke and caught fire. Fortunately, the homeowner had a working smoke alarm.

Crews removed the towels to fresh air and extinguished them.

In the second incident  at 4.10pm on Sunday, firefighters were called to a washing machine fire in a first floor flat in Imperial Mews. Two appliances from Crawley and a Surrey Fire & Rescue Service crew from Salfords were mobilised. On arrival, firefighters wearing two sets of breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using a hose reel and a CO2 extinguisher.

The fire damaged washing machine was removed from the property. Nobody was injured during the incident, but the property sustained smoke damage which meant the resident needed alternative accommodation for the night.

Simon Foster, West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service’s Performance Risk and Improvement Team Group Manager said:

“At this time of year, people are using their tumble dryers far more than at other times of the year.

“When taking clothes out of the tumble dryer, make sure you wait for laundry to cool down before putting it away. Oil residue and oxygenating chemicals from stain removing detergents can create a chemical reaction causing items like tea towels to self-heat, smoulder and could catch fire.

“Once clothes have cooled down, make sure you store them in a well-ventilated area.”  

The fire service is reminding people of the following safety tips when using electrical appliances:

•Look out for product recall notices.

•Register your appliance – appliances up to 12 years old can be registered on the Register My Appliance website.

•Don’t run appliances such as tumble dryers, washing machines or dishwashers overnight or when you are out.

•Always read the manufacturer’s instructions.

•Have your appliance serviced by a qualified engineer.

•Do not put rags or materials into a tumble dryer if they have been used to soak up flammable liquids. You can find out more about home fire safety by visiting the West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service website here: https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/fire-emergencies-and-crime/west-sussex-fire-and-rescue-service/home-fire-safety/electrical-and-heating-appliance-safety-advice/

Continue Reading

Trending