Connect with us

News

Third man arrested over Crawley mans murder

Police investigating the death of a man who was struck by a vehicle following a fight in Brighton have arrested a third man on suspicion of murder.

Published

on

Suel Miguel Monteiro Delgado died after suffering serious head injuries on Sunday.

Suel Miguel Monteiro Delgado, 20, from Crawley, suffered serious head injuries in the incident in Marine Parade at 5.20am on Sunday (1 December) and sadly died in hospital.

Detectives from the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team have launched a murder investigation after officers were initially called to a report of a large group of people fighting on the seafront. As they responded, it was reported that three of the group had then been struck by a car.

The two other victims, an 18-year-old man and a 22-year-old man were also seriously injured. The 18-year-old remains in a serious but stable condition while the 22-year-old is in a stable condition in hospital.

A 26-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder on Wednesday (4 December). He remains in custody for questioning.

A 32-year-old man who was arrested on Sunday (1 December) on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm has been released under investigation and a 33-year-old man who was detained on suspicion of attempted murder and then later re-arrested on suspicion of murder on Monday morning (2 December) has also been released under investigation.

Detective Chief Inspector Chris Friday said:

“This continues to be a complex investigation and we would still like to hear from anyone who may have seen the incident or has any information about it to come forward.

“We are particularly keen to hear from anyone who may have mobile phone footage, dashcam footage or anyone with private CCTV footage of the incident.”

If you can help with the investigation please report online or ring 101 quoting Operation Danebridge.

Lifestyle

Safety warning calls after two washing fires including one in Southgate, Crawley

Published

on

Firefighters are reminding householders of some simple safety steps when using electrical appliances such as tumble dryers and washing machines.

It follows two incidents in two days.

In the first incident firefighters were called after a pile of folded washing caught fire after being tumble-dried over the weekend.

A crew from Bognor Regis Fire Station was mobilised at 01.56am on Saturday to reports of a fire in a home on Lion Road in Pagham.

Upon arrival, firefighters found the property was heavily smoked logged, but thanks to a working smoke alarm, the three occupants had been alerted and had been able to escape from the property.

The fire started after the home owner had washed and tumble-dried some towels earlier on in the evening. These were then stacked and put in a hessian type bag in the hallway. But in the early hours of the morning, the towels, which had self-heated, began to smoke and caught fire. Fortunately, the homeowner had a working smoke alarm.

Crews removed the towels to fresh air and extinguished them.

In the second incident  at 4.10pm on Sunday, firefighters were called to a washing machine fire in a first floor flat in Imperial Mews. Two appliances from Crawley and a Surrey Fire & Rescue Service crew from Salfords were mobilised. On arrival, firefighters wearing two sets of breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using a hose reel and a CO2 extinguisher.

The fire damaged washing machine was removed from the property. Nobody was injured during the incident, but the property sustained smoke damage which meant the resident needed alternative accommodation for the night.

Simon Foster, West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service’s Performance Risk and Improvement Team Group Manager said:

“At this time of year, people are using their tumble dryers far more than at other times of the year.

“When taking clothes out of the tumble dryer, make sure you wait for laundry to cool down before putting it away. Oil residue and oxygenating chemicals from stain removing detergents can create a chemical reaction causing items like tea towels to self-heat, smoulder and could catch fire.

“Once clothes have cooled down, make sure you store them in a well-ventilated area.”  

The fire service is reminding people of the following safety tips when using electrical appliances:

•Look out for product recall notices.

•Register your appliance – appliances up to 12 years old can be registered on the Register My Appliance website.

•Don’t run appliances such as tumble dryers, washing machines or dishwashers overnight or when you are out.

•Always read the manufacturer’s instructions.

•Have your appliance serviced by a qualified engineer.

•Do not put rags or materials into a tumble dryer if they have been used to soak up flammable liquids. You can find out more about home fire safety by visiting the West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service website here: https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/fire-emergencies-and-crime/west-sussex-fire-and-rescue-service/home-fire-safety/electrical-and-heating-appliance-safety-advice/

Continue Reading

Trending