Connect with us

News

Third man arrested over Crawley mans murder

Police investigating the death of a man who was struck by a vehicle following a fight in Brighton have arrested a third man on suspicion of murder.

Published

on

Suel Miguel Monteiro Delgado died after suffering serious head injuries on Sunday.

Suel Miguel Monteiro Delgado, 20, from Crawley, suffered serious head injuries in the incident in Marine Parade at 5.20am on Sunday (1 December) and sadly died in hospital.

Detectives from the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team have launched a murder investigation after officers were initially called to a report of a large group of people fighting on the seafront. As they responded, it was reported that three of the group had then been struck by a car.

The two other victims, an 18-year-old man and a 22-year-old man were also seriously injured. The 18-year-old remains in a serious but stable condition while the 22-year-old is in a stable condition in hospital.

A 26-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder on Wednesday (4 December). He remains in custody for questioning.

A 32-year-old man who was arrested on Sunday (1 December) on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm has been released under investigation and a 33-year-old man who was detained on suspicion of attempted murder and then later re-arrested on suspicion of murder on Monday morning (2 December) has also been released under investigation.

Detective Chief Inspector Chris Friday said:

“This continues to be a complex investigation and we would still like to hear from anyone who may have seen the incident or has any information about it to come forward.

“We are particularly keen to hear from anyone who may have mobile phone footage, dashcam footage or anyone with private CCTV footage of the incident.”

If you can help with the investigation please report online or ring 101 quoting Operation Danebridge.

Coronavirus

BREAKING NEWS: Coronavirus cases jump 200% in one week across Crawley

Published

on

On Monday 14th Sept the new “rule of six” comes into force across England with news breaking today that children under 12 will not be exempt from it.

The new rules mean people are limited to meeting in groups no larger than six people both indoors and outdoors.

The rule ‘could’ potentially be coming slightly too late as new figures for Crawley reveal a 200% jump in recorded cases in just one week.

People need to realise the harm it can do you without putting you directly in hospital

Data from the UK public health bodies shows that in last week (2nd – 8th Sept) there were 15 NEW cases reported in Crawley. This number does not seem a lot but when compared to the week(s) before it shows a dramatic jump.

In only the previous week there were only 5 new cases reported, with 4 separate days reporting no cases at all.

But in the past week this figure jumped with 8 reported in one day alone.

So far the worst single day for reported cases in Crawley was back on the 28th April when 19 cases were reported in a day.

To date, since recording began there have been 502 cases, with 77 of these resulting in death.

As more parts of the UK are also having to deal with stricter lock down restrictions Crawley remains below the national average of cases per 100,000 at 13. The national average is currently 18.

The towns neighbour, Horsham, saw an even greater rise of 360% with 23 cases reported between 2-8 Sept.

Across the UK an additional 3.497 cases were reported in the past 24 hours, an increase of 36% on the same day a week ago, taking the total to 365,174.

A local doctor, who asked to remain anonymous, said her and her colleagues were very worried about how too many people were downplaying the risk of infection.

“I hear every day some people talking about how the number of people in hospital through Covid are so low so we shouldn’t worry about the number of cases increasing – but we should. People need to realise the harm it can do you without putting you directly in hospital.”

But questions on how the new rules will be enforced are still not clear with new statements released from the Police that talk about ‘engaging, encouraging and explaining’ before even considering taking any action.

A source close to Sussex Police has told Crawley News 24 that there is both confusion and dismay within the ranks about who and how officers are going to contend with issues of larger groups than allowed meeting up, while juggling the increase of daily issues that are returning since the full lockdown.

Another source said they were awaiting a full outline of what powers the police really will have on Monday (14th Sept) before officers would be given full guidance on what they should do.

Sussex Police told Crawley News 24:

“As we start to see a rise in infections it is vitally important that we all follow the regulations and restrictions in place to prevent the spread of Coronavirus.

Everyone has a role to play limiting the outbreak by following the regulations, including those about gatherings which will be limited to six people both indoors and outside when the new legislation comes into force on Monday 14 September.

People need to take personal responsibility for their actions, in particular during this heath emergency, and this includes adhering to the latest government guidance.

Sussex Police will continue its approach of engaging, encouraging and explaining the current regulations and only taking enforcement action when necessary. “

Only 1 week after schools reopen, a couple of weeks after a house party alarmed residents in the town, (and Crawley Council confirming they were investigating the event), and new rules coming into force, all eyes will now be set to see just how well the town responds to the new measures and whether the rise is just a ‘blip’ or if it is a sign of a returning rise.

Continue Reading

Trending