Connect with us

Lifestyle

“The wellbeing of our colleagues and customers is a priority for us” says K2 Crawley following incident as England Boxing Championship takes place

Reports of staff receiving abuse and trash strewn across the centre as the England Boxing National Schools Championships 2019 takes place.

Published

on

A visible mess of litter is strewn across the entrance to K2 Crawley

It is a large event even for K2 Crawley, with hundreds of visitors from across the country coming down to visit.

The England Boxing National Schools Championships 2019 have been taking place at K2 Crawley over the weekend. But it appears that some of the visitors who came down for the event may have caused disruption to the centre with their actions and left a visible mess that has dismayed locals.

Yesterday, Saturday 18th May, reports were made of staff being left in tears after receiving abuse from some of these visitors whilst others reported that the police were called to an incident outside the entrance.

Some locals were so concerned they contacted their local councilor who then made a visit to the centre.

Speaking on his facebook page Tilgate Cllr Guidera said:

Just got back from K2 after receiving several complaints today. A horrendous mess has been left and we have another day of this tomorrow! The entrance stinks of cigarettes, and there are hundreds of butts everywhere, along with so much rubbish strewn across the paved area and car park! I’ve had reports confirmed by K2 staff of teenage staff in tears, feeling intimidated by some of the people attending this boxing tournament, an alleged incident outside that the police had to attend to (now confirmed) and K2 are having to up the security tomorrow.

I am absolutely sure that there are many, many good people attending this boxing event and I saw some young lads leaving with their trainers as I arrived, but there’s absolutely no way that what’s been going on there today is remotely acceptable and I will be there at 9am tomorrow to speak to Everyone Active’ s management.

This is Crawley’s public leisure centre and there are standards that we expect to be upheld.”

Mr Guidera also took photos of how the area outside the centre had been left.

According to Mr Guidera he called an urgent meeting with Cllr Ali Pendlington, the Shadow Cabinet Member for Wellbeing along with the management of K2 and Crawley Borough Council where they were given assurances that the day would be managed differently to Saturday.

Some locals commented how they were able to see more visible security around.

But there was also an unconfirmed report on the Sunday as reported by a local resident facebook page where one claim was made of some visitors seen trying to steal a computer. This could not be verified by K2 Crawley.

Stuart Mills, Everyone Active area contract manager, said:

“We have worked closely with England Boxing to ensure that the event can run smoothly. 

“We are aware of an incident that upset a couple of members of our team. The wellbeing of our colleagues and customers is a priority for us and we don’t tolerate abuse within the centre. The facility is open as usual today.”

But despite the altercations outside the event, the boxing championships were a huge success with Chief Executive Officer, Gethin Jenkins saying:

“We have not been made aware of any issues at the K2 Crawley during the England Boxing National Schools Championships 2019 this weekend.

“What I would say is that it’s been a fantastic two days of boxing where almost 200 bouts have taken place. It’s great to see so many kids active and being cheered on by their family and friends.

“Those who have won titles are following in the footsteps of Crawley boxer Alan Minter, who went on to win an Olympic medal, and I’m sure this experience will have inspired them.   

“The event has brought a great deal of extra income to the town’s restaurants and hotels, and K2 Crawley have been an excellent and accommodating venue throughout.”

Lifestyle

Dispersal Order goes live across Tilgate AND includes K2 Crawley

Published

on

Crawley police have joined forces with partner agencies to tackle a recent spate of anti-social behaviour.

Chief Inspector Shane Baker said:

“We are aware of anti-social behaviour being carried out by a small minority of people across the borough.

“This has included reports of groups gathering, drinking in the streets and drug issues. This behaviour is totally unacceptable and we will be working closely with partners to ensure the relevant actions are taken.”

A section 34 dispersal order has been issued from midday on Friday (5 June) which will cover:

  • Tilgate Park area, inclusive of the surrounding woodlands and various placements along Tilgate Drive towards the A23 and K2 Leisure Centre.
  • Tilgate Golf Course in its entirety.
  • Gainsborough Road Playing Fields (aka Tilgate Playing Fields)
  • Tilgate Parade.
  • All streets bordered by Ashdown Drive, Titmus Drive, Winchester Road and Gainsborough Road.

The dispersal order is in place for an initial 48 hours and enables officers and PCSOs to direct a person who has committed, or is likely to commit, anti-social behaviour, crime or disorder to leave a specified area and not return for the specified time period.

CI Baker added:

“ASB can have a significant impact on communities and we are committed to use the relevant policing powers to target this behaviour.

“You will see an increased policing presence in this location and our officers will be engaging with members of the public around the dispersal order and the current government guidance around the coronavirus. Officers will engage, explain and encourage and only if absolutely necessary, enforce”.

“We want to reassure the public that solving these issues remains a priority for us and we will continue to monitor reports regarding this behaviour”.

“We would like to thank those members of the public who have reported matters of ASB to us and would urge anyone who is a witness or victim of ASB to report it to us either online or call 101.”

Continue Reading

Trending