Connect with us

News

Sussex Police support ‘European Day Without A Road Death’

A total of 54 people died as a result of collisions in Sussex last year.

Published

on

Today, Sussex Police have announced their participation in an awareness campaign that aims to make road safety a more prominent issue for people.

Project EDWARD (European Day Without A Road Death) is an awareness campaign that aims to bring casualty reduction and road safety to the forefront of people’s minds for a day. This year it is on Wednesday the 19th of September.

More news: Voting age debate leads to resounding victory for West Sussex Youth Cabinet

TISPOL, the European Traffic Police network, are coordinating this day after figures for fatalities on the continent’s roads reached over 25,000 last year. In Great Britain there were over 25,000 serious injury collisions and over 1,700 fatalities. Sussex had over 1,000 serious injury collisions and 54 people died.

Sergeant Phil Badman, Sussex Safer Roads Partnerships Casualty Reduction Sergeant, said: “The partnership is always keen to support Project Edward and with our promotional work, enforcement and education, we hope to make an impact. I would encourage all road users to share the road, think safety first and help to make Project Edward a success.”

To support this day and the work carried out by Sussex Police, East Sussex and West Sussex Fire and Rescue Services, and local authorities, people can sign up to the pledge, committing to become a better driver and encouraging friends and family to do the same and make the roads that little bit safer for all.

You can make the pledge here.

A spokesperson for Sussex Police added:

“Together, we can help to reduce the amount of killed or seriously injured collisions that we suffer each year – take the pledge and make it a way of life.”

News

‘Please come forward with information no matter how small’ Police appeal as E-Fit of attempted rape suspect released

Published

on

Police have released an E-fit image of a man sought in connection with the attempted rape of a 17-year-old girl in Crawley.

Between 7pm and 7.15pm on Tuesday (March 9), the teenager was walking her dog along the pathway from Overdene Drive towards the tunnel that runs underneath the A23 and follows on to Quantock Close.

She turned around before the end of the tunnel and walked back along the path to Overdene Drive. As she did so, she crossed paths with a man who grabbed her and attempted to rape her.

The victim was able to break free and shout for help, causing the man to flee the scene in the direction of the tunnel. The victim is being supported by specialist officers. 

The man was described as white, in his late teens to late 30s, 5’ 9” to 5’ 10”, with dark eyes, short dark coloured hair and short dark stubble. He spoke with an eastern European accent and was wearing dark clothing.

Investigating Officer Detective Inspector Allana Hughes said:

“We are appealing for anyone who recognises this man, or anyone who witnessed the sexual assault or any suspicious behaviour at this location around the time of the incident, to make contact with us.

“We would particularly like to hear from people who were in Quantock Close, The Dingle or surrounding roads around this time or anyone who may have dashcam, ring doorbell or CCTV footage which might have captured the suspect fleeing the scene.

“We have increased our patrols in the area and have been conducting house-to-house enquiries alongside investigating any potential lines of enquiry.

“Please come forward to us with any information which you think could help our investigation, no matter how small.”

Information can be passed to Sussex Police online or by calling 101 quoting Operation Stockbridge.

Alternatively, people can get in touch anonymously via the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Continue Reading

Trending