In a tweet this evening, Crawley Police have revealed that in only 2 hours a ‘staggering’ 7 people have been arrested for drink driving.
The arrests were made in Crawley, Mid Sussex and Horsham.
In the past TWO HOURS we’ve arrested a staggering SEVEN people for drink driving in Crawley, Mid Sussex & Horsham. We’re happy to lock them up all day long but this figure in such a small time frame is hugely disappointing. Suspect a drink driver? Call us. 14 cells left….#CH088 pic.twitter.com/PRTxnOvK2V
— Crawley Police (@Crawley_Police) December 2, 2018
The tweets comes as the police launch their 2018 Christmas crackdown on drink and drug-drivers.
To coincide with this, they’re introducing a number of colourful characters to illustrate the effects of driving under the influence.
In a statement about their campaign they say:
“While we ho-ho-hope you have fun this festive season, we can assure you driving with drink or drugs in your system is no laughing matter.”
A total of 56 people died in road traffic collisions in Sussex last year, 13 of which involved a drink-driver – representing 23 per cent of all fatal collisions in the county (statistics from the Sussex Safer Roads Partnership).
Chief Inspector Andy Gooch, of the Surrey and Sussex Roads Policing Unit, said:
“Arguably the hardest part of any police officer’s job is telling someone that one of their loved ones has died. When you consider it could so easily have been avoided, it becomes even harder.
“Drink and drug-driving destroys lives. It happens year on year and sadly, despite our repeated warnings, there will always be a minority of selfish and shameful individuals who still continue to put the lives of themselves and others at risk.
“Our aims of this campaign are to save lives by deterring people from drink and drug-driving, and to deal robustly with offenders.”
Surrey and Sussex Police will have a number of officers committed to the campaign, which runs from 1 December to 1 January inclusive.
Details of those convicted – including their name, age, address and occupation – will be published online. This is in line with our previous campaigns, with the intention to deter people from getting behind the wheel while high on drink or drugs.
During the same campaign last year (1 December 2017 to 1 January 2018), a total of 195 arrests were made in Sussex, of which at least 130 have since been convicted.
Chief Insp Gooch said:
“While this is a dedicated campaign which occurs twice a year during peak periods – at Christmas and in the summer – we still respond to reports of drink and drug-drivers as part of our routine policing 365 days a year.
“If you’re going to consume drink or drugs, we’d encourage you to plan ahead – walk home, book a taxi, take public transport or get a lift with someone sober. Never get into a vehicle with someone you know is over the limit.
“Also be mindful of the amount of time it takes for substances to leave your body. Even if you’ve slept for several hours, you could still be over the limit the next morning. And a coffee and a cold shower won’t speed up the process.”
The Sussex Safer Roads Partnership has a morning after calculator on its website, where you can find out roughly how long it takes before you can safely drive.
Chief Insp Gooch added:
“If you’re planning to drive after ‘just a couple’, it’s more than likely you’ll be over the limit. The only way to guarantee you’re under the limit is to drink OR drive; never both.”
If you’re prepared to drive under the influence of drink or drugs, prepare to face the consequences. These could include the following:
A minimum 12 month ban;
An unlimited fine;
A possible prison sentence;
A criminal record, which could affect your current and future employment;
An increase in your car insurance costs;
Trouble travelling to countries such as the USA.
If you know someone is driving while over the limit or after taking drugs, call 999.
Alternatively, people in Sussex can text officers on 65999 with the details of people they suspect of drink or drug-driving, or visit the Operation Crackdown website.
You can also contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or report it online.
The campaign is being run in conjunction with the Sussex Safer Roads Partnership and DriveSmart in Surrey.
Crawley Council object to Gatwick Master Plan after airport says majority of residents approve it.
In a vote held at Full Council the majority voted to object to the proposed plans put forward by Gatwick.
There seems to be a rift between what the Council think is right and what the residents do.
Only a week ago a poll commissioned by the airport stated that three quarters of residents polled were in favour of the master plan.
But in a full council held last night, the majority vote was against the proposal.
Realistically the result is no surprise as the Council had made their feelings clear in previous years objecting to the second runway.
Interestingly it was only a year ago that the Council voted to allow for the building of the new Boeing hangar, a new hub that would allow maintenance of aircraft from across Europe. Whilst the hangar would not increase air traffic in the same way, its approval was given after many councillors stated how it would bring much needed jobs and revenue into the area.
So there is a hunger for building, improving and growing resources at Gatwick but not it seems with increasing passenger numbers.
Whilst the majority of councillors who spoke did support Gatwick there was a real concern that the growth proposed would have too much of a detrimental affect on the environment.
Only this morning Gatwick published a press release where they said the airport had seen a 3% reduction in its noise footprint to the previous year. They said that this was in part to their initiative to modify the A320, an aircraft most used at Gatwick. They also say that 30% of its fleet will comprise quieter aircraft by 2022.
But these findings have fallen on deaf ears with the council and also objection groups including CAGNE (Communities Against Gatwick Noise and Emissions) who this week demanded that the airport disclose the safety incidents that have already occurred whilst using the emergency runway when the main runway is closed for maintenance.
A Gatwick spokesperson said:
“It is disappointing that the Council does not recognise the economic boost our plans would deliver for future generations, including thousands of jobs, new global connections and opportunities for local businesses. The decision also appears out of touch with the views of residents surveyed across Sussex in a recent independent YouGov poll, who overwhelmingly support Gatwick growing within its existing footprint (74%), with only 16% opposed.
“Local economic prosperity cannot be taken for granted and neither can the important role Gatwick plays in Crawley. While disappointed at this decision, we will consider the views of everyone who responds to our consultation before publishing our final master plan next year.”