Connect with us

News

SLOW DOWN! Fire Service tells drivers in Sussex

West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service is urging residents to cut their speed as part of speeding prevention month.

Published

on

Last year, eight people died and 123 were seriously injured on West Sussex roads due to speeding.

The service is highlighting these statistics through an audio message to residents on its social media pages featuring the voice of a young child asking his father why he is driving so fast.

Nicki Peddle, Head of Prevention for West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service, said:

“Last year we attended 684 road traffic collisions.

“Attending these incidents is a big part of firefighters’ roles and we want to highlight the potentially fatal consequences of speeding. If drivers maintain a safe speed there is more chance of preventing a tragedy from happening.”

Being caught speeding could result in:

  • Up to six points on your licence
  • Fine of up to 175% of your weekly income
  • Driving ban or licence revoked (if you’re still within two years of passing your test)
  • Disqualification
  • Criminal record
  • Prison sentence
  • The death or serious injury of either yourself or an innocent person.

Crews from WSFRS will be out supporting the campaign in their local communities. Follow @WestSussexFire on Twitter and @WSFRS on Facebook for updates.

West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service is at the heart of West Sussex County Council’s Communities and Public Protection Directorate, working to support communities to become safer, stronger and more resilient through a combination of prevention, protection and response activities.

News

Young man knocked unconscious and robbed in broad daylight in Memorial Gardens, Crawley

Police are appealing for witnesses after a man was robbed in Crawley Memorial Gardens.

Published

on

At about 1pm on Sunday 21 July, the 26-year-old victim was walking through the Memorial Gardens when he was hit from behind to the side of his head with a solid object and fell to the ground, losing consciousness.

His mobile phone and wallet were stolen.

He was taken to hospital to be treated for a large lump to the side of his head and bruising to his eye and cheek.

Detective Constable Sam Jedrzejewska said;

“We would like to trace three men seen in the area at the time. One is described as black, in his early 20’s, 5’6”, with a short black afro and of skinny build, wearing a plain black t-shirt and Adidas tracksuit bottoms.

The second man was described as black, about 17 years old, 5’4 and skinny build, wearing a red head covering. The last man is described as black, around 19 years old and of skinny build.

“If you can help please contact us online or by calling 101, quoting serial 718 of 21/07.”

Continue Reading

Trending