Connect with us

News

Over halfway there! New heat network for Crawley gets ever closer

Published

on

Construction of the new District Heat Network (DHN) energy centre has now passed the halfway milestone with good progress made during the pandemic.

Once completed, the DHN will supply affordable heat and hot water for connected residents and businesses at the new Town Hall, John Brackpool Close, Geraint Thomas House and the proposed residential development to be sited on the location of the current Town Hall. The DHN is due to be operational in February 2022.

Works completed so far on the DHN include:

  • Site set up including conversion of an area of the Town Hall multi-storey car park to welfare facilities and site office, erection of site hoarding, and connection of temporary water and electricity to the site
  • Ground works including the digging of all trenches to contain all power and data cables
  • Creation of the foundations and concrete bases for the new substation and DHN building frame
  • Construction and fit out of the control room for the DHN
  • Completion of DHN trenching and pipework to John Brackpool Close and Geraint Thomas House, ensuring future connection to the DHN
  • Installation of a new substation to provide the power for the DHN
  • Starting construction of the DHN superstructure (steel building frame) which coincided with the completion of the incoming services to site.

The next phase will see the new substation coming online, the roof structure being built and the erection of the building flues.

Councillor Gurinder Jhans, Cabinet member for Environmental Services and Sustainability at Crawley Borough Council, said: “It is fantastic that we have now reached the halfway milestone of this exciting project despite the pandemic. “In compliance with the council’s local plan, the DHN will help significantly reduce energy and carbon emissions for both the council and the residents and businesses connecting to it. It is another step towards us becoming carbon neutral.”

News

41-year-old man arrested in Crawley after reports of threats made with knife

Published

on

Police responded to a report of a man with a knife making threats inside a property at Wren Court, Tilgate Way, Crawley at 10.45am on Thursday (15 July).

Officers attended and safely detained the suspect, a 41-year-old man. No injuries have been reported. 

Chief Inspector Shane Baker; District Commander for Crawley said:

“We are thankful to the public for their patience and understanding while this incident was ongoing.

“During this incident, a distraction device was used, which may have caused some alarm and disruption to residents.

“We would like to assure the public that nobody was harmed and there is not believed to be any ongoing threat to the local community at this time.”

Anyone with information can report it online or call 101, quoting 482 of 15/07.

Continue Reading

Trending