Connect with us

News

Network Rail remind passengers of November closures

The line will be closed between Three Bridges and Brighton, and Three Bridges and Lewes, on Saturday 3 November, Saturday 10 November and the weekend of the 24 November, while engineers work in and around the tunnels at Balcombe and Clayton.

Published

on

Weekend passengers are being reminded to check before they travel in November as work on a £67million upgrade to the Brighton Mainline progresses on schedule.

Network Rail engineers are carrying out the first overhaul of the railway between Three Bridges and Brighton in more than 30 years by improving track, signalling and drainage to stop flooding inside Victorian tunnels on the line, which has become one of the least reliable in the south east.

More news: Brits vote to remain… with Halloween!

The line will be closed between Three Bridges and Brighton, and Three Bridges and Lewes, on Saturday 3 November, Saturday 10 November and the weekend of the 24 November, while engineers work in and around the tunnels at Balcombe and Clayton.

Work has taken place at 25 separate sites so far and has included the renewal of 2.7 miles of conductor rail, 532 yards of track and 15 signal heads and the replacement of thousands of tonnes of ballast.

November’s work will see the renewal of more track inside the Clayton Tunnel, new signals installed between Patcham and Preston Park and the replacement of electrical circuits between Three Bridges and Balcombe.

This work, together with a nine-day closure in the school half-term week between 16 and 24 February 2019, will improve reliability by more than 10% for passengers travelling between London and the south coast.

Paul Harwood, Network Rail’s director of South East route investment, said:

“We are working hard to make the least reliable part of our network better for passengers by upgrading the southern end of the Brighton Main Line.

“We are on track to deliver the improvements by next summer but we know there’s never a good time to close the railway, which is why we’re working closely with our train operator partners to provide the best advice so that passengers are inconvenienced as little as possible during our works in November and beyond.”

Keith Jipps, Govia Thameslink Railway’s Infrastructure Director, said:

“Network Rail’s works to upgrade the Brighton Main Line really are vital for us to improve our service, but we appreciate many of our passengers who use the railway at the weekends are being inconvenienced in the short-term.

“I’d remind travellers in Brighton and surrounding towns that we’re making every effort to keep them open for business with an extensive bus replacement service in place, as well as indirect train routes to and from London and Brighton available via the longer route through Littlehampton.”

The £67m Brighton Main Line Improvement Project is part of a wider £300m programme to improve the reliability of some of the busiest and most congested lines in the south east, including on the recently expanded Thameslink network.

Brighton Mainline upgrade at Clayton Tunnel.

Lifestyle

Crawley student heading for the Olympics

Anton Adewale a Crawley student at Thomas Bennett Community College who attends Pegasus Gymnastics Club in Maidstone has received some exciting news.

Published

on

After many years of training and hard work, gymnast Anton has been selected for the Team GB TOP Junior Squad.

The Olympic Programme (TOP) is world class and Anton will be attending 8 camps a year at Lilleshall which is a national sports centre.  Anton will be training alongside world class gymnasts from the Men’s Artistic GB Senior Team.

Anton has been training since just 6 years old and his immense dedication and commitment to gymnastics has resulted in his success. 

Supported by his family and Thomas Bennett Community College his dreams of reaching the Olympics are looking hopeful.

The Head Teacher at Thomas Bennett Community College, Stuart Smith says:

“The whole school take pride in Anton’s achievements. This is a significant accomplishment for a young person.  We are delighted to support Anton and look forward to hopefully seeing him join Team GB at the Olympics in the future”.

Continue Reading

Trending