Connect with us

News

Metrobus changes timetable across Crawley to reflect latest customer demand

Published

on

Metrobus has changed its timetables from today (Monday 23 March) to better reflect customer demand.

Metrobus routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 93, 98 & 200 will operate a Saturday service and many routes will operate a Monday to Friday non-school day service from Monday 23 March due to the coronavirus. Fastway routes 10, 20 and 100 will operate a Sunday service.

School day routes will not operate, including routes 398, 606, 610, 624, 638 ,642, 643, 648, 692, 693 and 866.

On Saturday 28 March, a normal Saturday service will operate on all routes except the 10, 20 & 100, which will operate a Sunday service. A normal Sunday service will be in operation on Sunday 29 March.

Metrobus’ Managing Director Martin Harris said:

“We’ve made these changes to realistically reflect passenger demand and resources during these unprecedented times and we’ll continue to review bus timetables in the light of this.

“Passengers can really help our drivers by using contactless payments or mobile tickets to reduce contact and only using cash when absolutely necessary.

“Our drivers are still accepting cash but I know they would appreciate it if passengers could have the correct fare ready, where possible. Some drivers may ask you to put your money in a plastic bag. Please don’t be offended if this happens, it’s just an extra precaution.”

The bus company is accepting Older Person’s and Disabled Person’s concessionary passes issued by any local council in England for travel 24 hours a day, until further notice. This is to support passengers who may need to get to the shops early to buy essential supplies.

 For a full list of coronavirus service disruptions and updates, please click here.

The bus company has created a list of some frequently asked questions to help answer some of your questions. Click on FAQs to read them.

Coronavirus

‘With community spirit & patience we will get through this’ – Crawley Police Chief thanks residents for staying at home

Published

on

Chief Inspector Shane Baker who is the District Commander for Crawley and Mid Sussex has thanked the towns residents and his own officers for their commitment to following the governments emergency measures.

Since the measures were introduced the majority of residents have been following the measures and when not required to go to work or to do essential travel have been staying at home.

But the Chief Inspector was also quick to point out that those who do flaunt the measures will find his officers will enforce the legislation where necessary.

CI Baker confirmed his officers who have been actioning ‘Operation Apollo’ have only had to deal with a handful of situations where some people were not abiding by the new rules but that these were very few.

So far officers had only had to deal with some shoppers breaking rules in a supermarket, gatherings being arranged on social media in several wards and some house parties.

He also confirmed that whilst 5% of his officers were off self-isolating, there was no disruption to their service as demand for general policing, in particular residential burglaries, was down due to people being indoors.

CI Baker added that those officers working from home were still able to continue investigative duties.

Nationally the police have had to contend with a lot of backlash as some forces were deemed to be acting far too heavy handed. CI Baker said that so far there had been no need for officers to fine anyone and that he was keen his officers used tactics of visibility and persuasion first and foremost.

His officers were also taking measures to protect the public as much as possible by keeping social distancing between themselves where possible and where it wasn’t such as within patrol cars, they were working with the same colleagues to minimise any potential spread.

CI Baker said:

“I thank the vast majority of Crawley residents and my officers for their continued commitment to the governments emergency measures.

We are still seeing people out without cause; these are not guidelines, this is for your own safety. My officers will enforce the emergency legislation where proportionate and necessary, but they should not have to.”

“We are all impacted by this pandemic, but with a sense of public duty, a community spirit and continued patience we will soon get through this whilst saving the lives of many.”

Continue Reading

Trending