Connect with us

Horley

Man jailed for 21 years for historic sex offences in Horley

A man is behind bars for more than 20 years after being found guilty of raping and indecently assaulting a young girl in Horley between 1995 and 1997

Published

on

Martin Clifford, 45, of Chatfield, Slough, was found guilty of two counts of indecent assault on at least three occasions between 1995 and 1997 when the victim was aged between 12 and 13 years old. He was also found guilty of two counts of rape in relation to the same girl.

Clifford was also found guilty of five counts of indecency with a child under 14, and five counts of indecent assault on a male under 16, involving three other victims in Slough between 1988 and 1997.

He was jailed for 21 years at Reading Crown Court last Wednesday (October 2), following his conviction on 26 September.

Detective Chief Inspector Rob Harris from Surrey Police’s Public Protection Command said:

“The sentence given to Clifford last week followed an extremely successful joint investigation with our colleagues in Thames Valley Police. Working in partnership ensured that we could establish the full picture of Clifford’s offending and bring him to justice for all the crimes he had committed in both policing areas.

“I would like to pay tribute to the victims for having the courage to support the investigation and prosecution, including providing evidence to the court of their horrific abuse by Martin Clifford. I can only hope the fact that Clifford is now behind bars, will assist them in moving forward. I would also like to thank the investigators involved for their hard work and diligence in bringing this investigation to a successful conclusion.”

DCI Harris continued:

“Whenever possible we will work together diligently with partner agencies, victims and families, to bring abusers to justice. County boundaries or the age of their offending should offer them no protection from capture and prosecution.”

Horley

Arson attack leaves caravan and 4×4 destroyed in Horley as police appeal for witnesses

Published

on

Police are appealing for witnesses following an arson attack on a caravan and left it and a 4×4 destroyed in Horley.

The attack took place on Saturday (February 8) at approximately 7pm on Haroldslea Drive.

It resulted in a caravan and a 4×4 being totally destroyed and two other cars being damaged. Two cars on a neighbouring driveway were also damaged.

Surrey Fire and Rescue Service responded and put the fire out, and have since determined it to be arson.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Kristian Baker said:

“This was a serious incident which has caused considerable damage. While understandably distressing to the family involved, it could have been far worse given that these vehicles were parked on the driveway in front of the house and could have spread to their home had the fire service not got there when they did.

“We have carried out a number of enquiries in the area but I would urge anyone who has any information about this incident to get in touch with us as a matter of urgency.

“If you saw anyone acting suspiciously around this address at that time, or before or after the incident then please let us know. You can contact us via 101 or report information through www.surrey.police.uk and quote the reference number PR/45200015817.”

You can also report information anonymously through the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit https://crimestoppers-uk.org/give-information/forms/give-information-anonymously.

Continue Reading

Trending