Connect with us

News

Langley Green, Crawley teenage drug dealer jailed

A Crawley drug dealer has been handed a prison sentence.

Published

on

Saud Ali, 19, of appeared at Lewes Crown Court on 22 November after pleading guilty to drugs charges.

Police were on foot patrol in Warren Drive, Crawley, on Monday 14 October when they spotted Ali throw a package on top of a shed roof. He was pursued by officers and detained nearby.

The package from the roof was retrieved and a total of 76 wraps of class A drugs, crack cocaine and heroin, were discovered.

Ali of Fox Close, Crawley, was charged with two counts of possession with intent to supply class A drugs. He was remanded in custody and pleaded guilty to both offences.

Ali was given a four-year prison sentence in a young offenders institute, which includes the activation of a suspended sentence of a year.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Karen Young said:

“We welcome the sentence the courts have given to Ali and hope this shows the severity of his actions.

“Issues with drugs can have a large effect on the immediate community and we are dedicated to tackling this behaviour. On the day Ali was arrested, we were out conducting foot patrols and the diligent officers spotted Ali acting suspiciously in the area.

“Our work around drugs will continue in the area to ensure those involved are disrupted and brought to justice.”

Two men, 35 and 22 and both of no fixed address, were also arrested on 14 October.

They were both arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of class A drug and the 22-year-old was also arrested for acquire, use or possession of criminal property.

Both men were later released under investigation.

Lifestyle

Safety warning calls after two washing fires including one in Southgate, Crawley

Published

on

Firefighters are reminding householders of some simple safety steps when using electrical appliances such as tumble dryers and washing machines.

It follows two incidents in two days.

In the first incident firefighters were called after a pile of folded washing caught fire after being tumble-dried over the weekend.

A crew from Bognor Regis Fire Station was mobilised at 01.56am on Saturday to reports of a fire in a home on Lion Road in Pagham.

Upon arrival, firefighters found the property was heavily smoked logged, but thanks to a working smoke alarm, the three occupants had been alerted and had been able to escape from the property.

The fire started after the home owner had washed and tumble-dried some towels earlier on in the evening. These were then stacked and put in a hessian type bag in the hallway. But in the early hours of the morning, the towels, which had self-heated, began to smoke and caught fire. Fortunately, the homeowner had a working smoke alarm.

Crews removed the towels to fresh air and extinguished them.

In the second incident  at 4.10pm on Sunday, firefighters were called to a washing machine fire in a first floor flat in Imperial Mews. Two appliances from Crawley and a Surrey Fire & Rescue Service crew from Salfords were mobilised. On arrival, firefighters wearing two sets of breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using a hose reel and a CO2 extinguisher.

The fire damaged washing machine was removed from the property. Nobody was injured during the incident, but the property sustained smoke damage which meant the resident needed alternative accommodation for the night.

Simon Foster, West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service’s Performance Risk and Improvement Team Group Manager said:

“At this time of year, people are using their tumble dryers far more than at other times of the year.

“When taking clothes out of the tumble dryer, make sure you wait for laundry to cool down before putting it away. Oil residue and oxygenating chemicals from stain removing detergents can create a chemical reaction causing items like tea towels to self-heat, smoulder and could catch fire.

“Once clothes have cooled down, make sure you store them in a well-ventilated area.”  

The fire service is reminding people of the following safety tips when using electrical appliances:

•Look out for product recall notices.

•Register your appliance – appliances up to 12 years old can be registered on the Register My Appliance website.

•Don’t run appliances such as tumble dryers, washing machines or dishwashers overnight or when you are out.

•Always read the manufacturer’s instructions.

•Have your appliance serviced by a qualified engineer.

•Do not put rags or materials into a tumble dryer if they have been used to soak up flammable liquids. You can find out more about home fire safety by visiting the West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service website here: https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/fire-emergencies-and-crime/west-sussex-fire-and-rescue-service/home-fire-safety/electrical-and-heating-appliance-safety-advice/

Continue Reading

Trending