Connect with us

News

‘It’s like playing cat and mouse’ says business owner as travellers move around Manor Royal, Crawley

Published

on

Security across Manor Royal has been tightened as businesses secure their car parks.

Some say they should be left alone but to business owners who are affected by their presence it is a different story.

Since the beginning of the week several sites across Crawley have found themselves coping with new residents as the yearly arrival of travellers comes to the area.

In the past week alone travellers have so far camped up on West Green Park, near St Mary’s and at two sites around Manor Royal.

West Sussex Council along with Crawley Borough Council have acted as fast as they could to take action but it has taken 48 hours before deadlines were able to be reached for the travellers to be moved on.

But in Manor Royal it has been a large headache for several businesses who found their car parks taken over by caravans and kids playing.

The site on Gatwick Road.

No sooner did they manage to get security in and the caravans move on than the air is filled with police sirens as reports of travellers moving onto derelict land only a few hundred yards down the road on Gatwick Road.

What makes the Gatwick Road site more unusual is that it is owned by Surrey County Council and not Sussex which may delay action although a source at Surrey County Council said they were aware of the situation and were taking action.

One business owner based on the first site who asked be kept anonymous said:

“It’s a bloody joke. It’s like playing cat and mouse. They will just keep moving around and no-one seems to be able to do anything quickly. The mess they have left is sickening and they wonder why they get a bad reputation?”

The mess left at one Manor Royal office after the caravans left.

With the travellers currently setup on West Green Park given a deadline of 10:30am to move on the question being asked is where will they move to next and why is more not being done to protect businesses and residents from feeling invaded.

News

Young man knocked unconscious and robbed in broad daylight in Memorial Gardens, Crawley

Police are appealing for witnesses after a man was robbed in Crawley Memorial Gardens.

Published

on

At about 1pm on Sunday 21 July, the 26-year-old victim was walking through the Memorial Gardens when he was hit from behind to the side of his head with a solid object and fell to the ground, losing consciousness.

His mobile phone and wallet were stolen.

He was taken to hospital to be treated for a large lump to the side of his head and bruising to his eye and cheek.

Detective Constable Sam Jedrzejewska said;

“We would like to trace three men seen in the area at the time. One is described as black, in his early 20’s, 5’6”, with a short black afro and of skinny build, wearing a plain black t-shirt and Adidas tracksuit bottoms.

The second man was described as black, about 17 years old, 5’4 and skinny build, wearing a red head covering. The last man is described as black, around 19 years old and of skinny build.

“If you can help please contact us online or by calling 101, quoting serial 718 of 21/07.”

Continue Reading

Trending