Connect with us

News

‘Immoral & Jobsworths’ says Tilgate business owner as Crawley Council refuse to move on rent increase

Published

on

Darren Kirkham from Tilgate Bakery.

Businesses on Tilgate Parade who were warned of a rent increase of 30% by Crawley Borough Council have been told there is no option but to pay the increase.

Advertisement

Following the news last week that the council were going to look into the huge increase that some of the smaller businesses said they would not be able to reach, it now appears that following an internal review no change is to happen.

Some of the businesses on the parade have been receiving calls already from council staff who have said that if businesses do not comply then legal action could be forthcoming.

Darren Kirkham from Tiglate Bakery said:

“This is immoral and jobsworths! This is bigger than here and now. This is sustainabilty for small buisnmess and i am just frustrated that the council is being short-sighted in their policy and not willing to review it as it will change the face of parades across the town.

It’s going to affect every parade in 2 and 5 years, everyones going to get hit and ultimately it’s gojng to be the smaller businesses that are goin to go under first.”

Advertisement

In response to the news Crawley Borough Council Leader Peter Lamb said:

“Crawley Borough Council faces a £1.3m budget deficit over the next several years due to government cuts. The choice for residents is, would they rather the council subsidises the rents of profit making businesses or would they would prefer to see services cut and council tax go up?”

Crawley MP Henry Smith said:

“I think it is extremely regrettable that the Crawley Council leadership are unwilling to negotiate fairer rents for smaller shop owners in Tilgate parade. My fear is that this will lead to firms closing and the community shops provided by those in the parade could be lost.

What’s happening now in Tilgate will no doubt be visited upon the other neighbourhood parades across Crawley which I think goes against one of the finest new town principles.”

News

Sussex Police release video of man sentenced after police chase through Crawley streets

Published

on

A man who hid underneath a vehicle in a bid to evade police has been sentenced.

Advertisement

Officers were alerted to a man, Patrick McCabe, being asleep in the back of his car at a petrol pump at a service station in Copthorne Common Road, Copthorne, around 8.40am on Thursday, 21 November.

Two police cars arrived on the scene, one parking behind the vehicle and one in front of the vehicle. McCabe, 24 of Croydon Road in Caterham, woke up and rammed the police car parked behind his vehicle and made off from the scene.

Officers, assisted by the police helicopter, pursued McCabe who drove with excessive speed, almost collided with a transit tipper van and even drove on the wrong side of the dual carriageway.

Watch the pursuit in full below.

McCabe was tracked driving down a pedestrian path before fleeing from the vehicle and attempting to hide underneath a car in a nearby hotel carpark. He was detained by officers and charged with dangerous driving, driving without a licence, driving without insurance and two counts of criminal damage.

Advertisement

The landscape gardener appeared at Lewes Crown Court on Friday, 20 December, and was given a 19-month sentence, suspended for two years, disqualified from driving for two years and 15 rehabilitation requirement days.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending