Adam O’Sullivan, of Hunter Road, Crawley, O’Sullivan believed he was talking to a 14-year-old girl but was actually speaking to an investigating officer posing as a teenage girl on Kik messenger.
In May 2016 while living in Weybridge, O’Sullivan used the messaging app to entice the 14-year-old girl he thought he was speaking to, to send indecent images of herself to him. He also sent indecent images of himself.
During their conversation he knew the user was underage but continued to request for various indecent images, they even discussed meeting up.
He was also in various online groups that were sharing indecent videos and images of children.
O’Sullivan was charged with attempting to incite a child to engage in sexual activity and three counts of making indecent images of a child in July 2018. He initially pleaded not guilty to all charges at Guildford Crown Court but changed his plea to guilty just before trial in February. He was sentenced today (18 March), to 22 weeks in custody, suspended for 18 months.
O’Sullivan was also given a seven-year Sexual Harm Prevention Order.
DC Rene Murdoch said:
“Thankfully O’Sullivan was talking to the police instead of an innocent child and no one was hurt.
“Due to our undercover work we were able to identify an offender, and he will now be prevented from having contact with young persons and restrictions in place around his use of computers and the internet.
“We work tirelessly in Surrey to keep people safe from sexual offenders who pose a risk to children. Some of this work isn’t always visible but rest assured it goes on.”
Surrey Polices top tips:
We strongly advise to turn privacy settings on your social media accounts on to prevent messages and requests from strangers.
Do not accept requests from someone you don’t know.
Never give your personal details or send images of yourself to someone online.
Teenager found guilty of murdering Arnold Potter named
A teenager who stabbed and killed a man in Maidenbower, Crawley has been found guilty of murder.
Kai Gasson, 17, unemployed, from Crawley, admitted using a lock knife to wound the torso of Arnold Potter; however, he claimed he did so in self-defence.
Reporting restrictions were lifted to allow him to be named.
The 24-year-old victim sought help from a number of residents following the incident in Watson Close, Maidenbower, around 6.40pm on Thursday, November 15.
Shortly afterwards, he was found collapsed in the street. Despite the best efforts of paramedics and members of the public who commenced CPR, he was sadly declared dead at 7.17pm.
Gasson had chased Arnold (pictured above) up the street following the attack, but then made off from the scene and spent the night at a friend’s house, where he confessed to his crime and was encouraged to hand himself in to police the next day.
He was charged with murder and was remanded in custody ahead of a two-week trial which concluded at Lewes Crown Court on Thursday, April 18 where a jury found him guilty of murder.
It is alleged that in the events leading up to the attack, the defendant had been approached in the street by Arnold, who is reported to have held a knife to his throat and threatened to rob him of his drugs.
In response to this, Gasson withdrew a knife from his bag and used it to stab Arnold.
Following a search of his house, the defendant was further arrested and charged with possession of an offensive weapon (a knife). The jury also found him guilty of this offence as well as possession with intent to supply a class A drug (cocaine).
Detective Chief Inspector Andy Richardson, who led the investigation, said: “Kai Gasson has been found guilty of the murder of Arnold Potter and rightly so now faces a minimum of 15 years behind bars.
“The jury has rejected his claim that he acted in self-defence and agreed with the prosecution that he murdered Arnold Potter.
“Gasson was also been found guilty of possession of a knife and pleading guilty to possession with intent to supply cocaine.
“Knife crime hasn’t just affected the two individuals involved; it has also affected their families, friends and the wider community and my thoughts our especially with Arnold’s family at this time.
“The key element to this tragic incident is the possession of a knife in a public place, which is an extremely serious offence.
“Had Gasson not been in possession of a knife that day, he would not have stabbed anyone and he would not now be facing a sentence.
“The devastation caused by knife crime is well documented, and Sussex Police – like every other force in the UK – will not tolerate it.
“We must continue to educate people – particularly young people – that carrying offensive weapons in public is a serious offence which ruins lives. It is a common misconception that some people feel safer in possession with a knife. This cannot be further from the truth; carrying a knife makes you far more likely to be involved in a crime, whether you are the victim or the offender.
“Our message is simple: lose the knife, not your life.”