Connect with us

Business

Fear of job losses in Crawley as Chiquito looks to go into administration

Published

on

Image: Google

The owner of Chiquito restaurants has made the decision to file a ‘notice of intention to appoint an administrator’ as the chain faces huge losses over its closure during the coronavirus pandemic.

In explaining to their staff the decision, the owners said that since closing it was unlikley that the restaurant would have any income for 2 to 3 months or potentially longer if the current social distancing measures failed to slow the spread of COVID-19.

They added that the Group that owns the chain believed the severity of the impact of the coronavirus pandemix would result in ‘Chiquito Limited becoming loss making for the year end 27th December 2020’.

The filing of the notice does not mean the chain will be going into administration but that they were keeping open options of which one could be to appoint administrators.

The decision will worry staff members who are already in uncertain times over pay during the lockdown.

Staff have already been told that all employees would get paid as normal on Monday and the company was awaiting details of the Job Rentention Scheme before making any further decisions.

Business

Crawley businesses take out over £90m in loans to survive COVID-19

Published

on

Statistics released by the Government have revealed the true extent of lending taken up by businesses across Crawley.

According to a release from the office of Crawley’s MP Henry SMith, businesses across Crawley have benefitted from £92,721,494 worth of loans since the start of the COVID-19 outbreak.

This includes 1,724 Bounce Back Loans worth £51,495,006 and 102 loans at a value of £41,226,488 through the Coronavirus Business Interruption Scheme.

The number is part of the vast number that have been taken out throughout the whole of the south east of England, where a total of 175,946 Bounce Back Loans, worth £5,269,988,799, and 9,026 Coronavirus Business Interruption Loans, worth £2,154,703,689, have been provided to support businesses across all sectors, protecting jobs and livelihoods.

Crawley MP Henry Smith said;

“This year has been hugely challenging for businesses in Crawley, but these latest figures demonstrate the scale of support that the Government has put in place to protect livelihoods and businesses.

“Never has the Government’s agenda to level up the whole county been so important. I’ll continue to focus on supporting hardworking families across Crawley.”

With cases still rising and worries that more areas across the country may enter tighter restricttions, the Chancellor has also announced that the Government’s Job Support Scheme will be expanded to protect jobs and support businesses required to close their doors as a result of coronavirus restrictions, alongside increasing the cash grants to businesses in England required to shut in local lockdowns to support with fixed costs – worth up to £3,000 per month.

So far, the Government has provided over £200 billion throughout its economic response to coronavirus to support jobs and businesses in the UK.

The Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rishi Sunak, commented;

“Our support for businesses and workers has provided a lifeline to employers up and down the country, supporting people to stay in jobs and protecting livelihoods. “We will build on this as we move to the next stage of our recovery through the Winter Economy Plan, which will continue to protect jobs and help businesses through the months ahead.”

Continue Reading

Trending