Connect with us

Crime

Father & son plead guilty to assault on Crawley man

The victim was taken to hospital with multiple injuries in July after the assault in which one man was, reportedly, in possession of a metal pole.

Published

on

A father and son from Crawley have been found guilty of assaulting a man in Bewbush.

Officers attended Apsley Court, Crawley, on 4 July 2017. They were called to reports of a man being assaulted by two other men, one of whom was in possession of a metal pole.

More news: Crawley’s Homebase escapes shortlist of companies stores closing

51-year-old Tony Newman and his 21-year-old son, also named Tony, were arrested and later released under investigation. The victim was taken to hospital with multiple injuries.

Following enquiries, the defendants of Murray Court, Crawley, were both later charged with assault on a person thereby occasioning them actual bodily harm and possession of an offensive weapon in a public place.

Both defendants initially pleaded not guilty to both charges and appeared at Horsham Magistrates’ court on Monday 6 August.

After hearing the evidence, the pair then changed their pleas to guilty. Newman Junior pleaded guilty to both charges and Newman Senior pleaded guilty to assault a person thereby occasioning them actual bodily harm, but the possession of an offensive weapon charge was dropped by the court.

Crime Investigator Simon Bethune said:

“This was a complicated case with the defendants initially pleading not guilty.

“The pair will be sentenced at Lewes Crown Court on 4 September and this reflects the seriousness of the assault.

“I would like to praise the victim and witnesses for their bravery in providing their accounts in court, a task which would have undoubtedly been very distressing.”

Crime

Crawley Man who was trying to guide youths away from crime jailed for causing serious injury by dangerous driving

A man has been sentenced to 18 months in prison after pleading guilty to casing serious injury by dangerous driving following a collision in Horley in September 2018.

Published

on

Iqubal Khan, 35, also pleaded guilty to failing to stop and failing to report an injury collision when he appeared at Guildford Crown Court on 4 February.

Khan was also disqualified from driving for three years and nine months.

Khan was driving along Shipley Bridge Lane around 6.10pm on 23 September 2018 when his car, a Toyota Corolla, was involved in a head-on collision with a Range Rover Sport.

He fled the scene immediately following the collision, leaving one of his passengers behind with serious leg injuries. He also failed to report the collision.

It later emerged that the car he was driving was also dangerously overloaded with excess passengers, with four adults squashed on the rear seat.

The other driver escaped uninjured, while the other passengers suffered minor injuries as a result of the collision.

Only recently Khan had expressed how much he wanted to help change the corrupt course of youngsters lives that drugs and knifes had put them on.

Khan was arrested on 29 November 2018 after officers tracked him down through DNA left in the vehicle when he fled.

Sergeant Geoff Longstaff, who investigated the collision, said:

“Not only was Khan driving dangerously at the time of the collision, his car was also excessively overloaded. He then fled the scene, not even bothering to check whether his passengers were unharmed. One of his passengers sustained serious leg injuries and is still suffering with the effects of the collision to this day.

“It didn’t take long to find out he had been driving, thanks to statements from his passengers and the other driver, and now he is off our roads and in prison where he belongs for the complete lack of regard and remorse he has shown.”

Sgt Longstaff added:

“The sentence handed to Khan demonstrates our determination to ensure that those who use Surrey’s roads dangerously and irresponsibly and put the lives of others at risk when they get behind the wheel, will be dealt with robustly.”

Continue Reading

Trending