Connect with us

Lifestyle

Earthquake rocks Gatwick, Crawley and Horsham

The earthquake happened at 03:40 this morning.

Published

on

BGS say the earthquake was a magnitude 3.7

Reports of the earthquake flooded into the British Geological Survey from people across Sussex and Surrey.

Reported at a magnitude of 3.7 it is one of the largest earthquakes the area has seen.

With reports saying it originated close to Southwater it was only 10 miles away from Gatwick Airport where some travellers reported feeling the buildings move.

One traveller said:

“It was quite violent, I thought it was the vibrations of a planes engines at first then realised that everything was shaking.”

One family in Crawley said they felt ‘a very strong tremor’ in the early hours while others reported headboards and furniture shifting around the room.

One man from Horley said:

“I had just got in from my late shift and was trying to watch tv when the room shook and I only managed to grab the tv from falling off the sideboard, it was that violent.”

Last year saw numerous earthquakes over just a couple of days leading people to ask what the real cause may be. Read that article here.

Lifestyle

Wood, furniture & electrical among more items allowed at Crawley’s Waste Recycling Site from Monday

Published

on

Household Waste Recycling Sites will start accepting more items including wood, furniture and electrical items from Monday 1st June.

Residents will be able to dispose of the following items at all sites in West Sussex:

• garden waste
• general household waste
• wood
• cardboard
• electrical items
• bulky items
• white goods
• furniture.

Unfortunately, soil, hardcore, plasterboard, asbestos, tyres and textiles/clothes will not be allowed at this time. This is to ensure social distancing measures can be maintained and to limit queues.

The mobile services at Selsey and the Witterings will begin reopening from Thursday 4 June for wood and green waste only, starting with the Witterings.

Residents are still asked to only visit sites if their journey is necessary and their waste or recycling is not suitable for kerbside collection.

Social distancing measures are in place at all sites which means a smaller number of people will be allowed in at one time, and could result in long queues.

Deborah Urquhart, West Sussex County Council Cabinet Member for Environment, said:

“The sites will soon be able to accept a much wider variety of waste, starting from Monday 1st June, including cardboard, electrical items and furniture. I am also pleased to say we are reopening the mobile services at Selsey and the Witterings from Thursday 4 June for green waste and wood only, starting with the Witterings.

“I would like to thank everyone who has been storing their waste safely at home up until now.

“Sites are likely to be busy with long queues so please consider whether your journey is necessary before you set off.”

Vans and pickup trucks with a permit can now enter sites. Trailers are still not allowed at this time, to help ensure social distancing and to limit queues.

To apply for a van or pickup permit, visit: https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/land-waste-and-housing/waste-and-recycling/van-pickup-and-trailer-waste-permit/

Follow @WSRecycles on social media or sign up for our e-newsletter at www.wastepreventionwestsussex.co.uk to receive the latest information as it becomes available.

Continue Reading

Trending