Connect with us

Crime

‘Devious sexual predator’ jailed after Gatwick arrest

The 25-year-old builder from the US was initially only questioned as part of a routine check.

Published

on

US national, Fredis Mata, 25

A man travelling to the UK from America has been jailed after intending to meet a young girl he sexually groomed online.

25-year-old Fredis Mata, a US national, was arrested on arrival at Gatwick Airport’s South Terminal on 9 February.

More news: Headache for Crawley Football Club as travellers takeover car park

During a routine check by Border Force officers, he initially claimed he had been visiting the UK to meet his 21-year-old girlfriend.

However, after further probing, Mata stated his girlfriend was 17, before finally admitting she was in fact 14.

A further interview and search revealed a large number of sex toys in his luggage, including ropes and harnesses.

“Mata is a devious sexual predator who came very close to destroying the life of a vulnerable 14-year-old girl”

Enquiries with Hertfordshire Police (Mata said he was going to stay at the Premier Inn at Welwyn Garden City) confirmed the victim as being 14 years old and living a very short distance from Mata’s intended residence.

It was also confirmed that the victim and Mata had been involved in an online relationship for several months and the nature of the conversations were very sexualised.

More news: Lucky escape as tractor crashes into bus near Copthorne

Mata, a builder, of no fixed address, was subsequently charged with the following offences:

  • Causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity
  • Engaging in sexual activity in the presence of a child
  • Meeting a child following sexual grooming

He pleaded guilty to all three offences at Lewes Crown Court on Thursday 1 March and was remanded in custody for sentencing.

At the same court on Thursday (12 April), he was sentenced to 10 years’ imprisonment, consisting of six years in custody followed by four years on licence.

His sentence was broken down as follows:

  • Causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity: three years;
  • Engaging in sexual activity in the presence of a child: two years;
  • Meeting a child following sexual grooming: one year

The defendant was also given a restraining order preventing him from contacting the victim in any way.

Detective Inspector Andy Richardson said:

“The online conversations between Mata and his victim were initiated by him, and although the victim was reluctant to engage in them at times, Mata would coerce her into participating in his fantasies through emotional threats and control.

“The victim was also forced into performing sex acts via video with Mata and his intentions upon meeting the victim were very obvious. Frighteningly, their meeting had been arranged for a specific date and time.

“Mata is a devious sexual predator who came very close to destroying the life of a vulnerable 14-year-old girl, and was only prevented from doing so by the magnificent work of Border Force officers, who proactively stopped him and referred the case to Sussex Police.

“I would urge parents to be aware of what their children are doing online as predators do exist and target vulnerable children. What may start off as an innocent encounter can quickly develop into something more sinister.

“The Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre provides some good advice.”

Emma Porter, Director of Border Force South, said:

“This was an excellent stop by the Border Force officer on the immigration controls, who quickly assessed that Mata’s case warranted further investigation. That vital intervention was the crucial first step towards bringing a dangerous sexual predator to justice.

“The case is a valuable reminder of just why the checks we conduct at passport control are so important. Thousands of people pass through the immigration halls at Gatwick every day and every single one is subjected to full security checks. It is challenging work but, as this case demonstrates, work that our officers do well.”

Keep up to date with all the latest news.

Follow us on:

Twitter: @crawleynews24

Facebook: Crawleynews24

listen live

Crime

Urgent appeal as £5k reward offered to find violent man who ransacked Crawley shop and assaulted child

Published

on

Police have launched an urgent appeal and offered a reward of up to £5,000 for information leading to the capture of Jordan Charles.

Charles has links to Crawley and Bexhill in East Sussex as well as Croydon in South London.

The appeal for anonymous information has been launched to urgently find 23-year-old Jordan Charles, who is wanted for questioning over a series of violent incidents in Sussex.  

A string of offences in recent months includes: violence and robbery; threatening revellers with a knife in Brighton; using racist and homophobic language; spitting saliva and blood at police; ransacking a takeaway in Crawley and attacking a customer; attacking staff at another Crawley restaurant with a glass and a metal chain dog lead wrapped around his hand; punching and kicking a woman to the floor outside a nightclub; assaulting a 12-year-old girl who had come to the aid of her mother and aunt during a parking dispute.

He has also failed to appear in court.

Jordan Charles is black, about 5’ 9″, of medium build and with black hair. He is known to have links to Crawley, and is thought to still frequent the area.

Glenys Balchin, Crimestoppers Regional Manager said:

“This man must be found before anyone else comes to harm, which is why we are making an urgent appeal to the public in Sussex, Surrey and south London to help find his location. Jordan Charles is dangerous and the allegations against him are serious.
 
“It is important to remind people that assisting somebody wanted for questioning over a crime can lead to prosecution. We are appealing to anybody who may know the whereabouts of Jordan Charles to urgently tell our charity what you know 100% anonymously. Always. You can call our UK Contact Centre, which is open 24/7, on freephone number 0800 555 111 or you can use our simple and secure anonymous online form.
 
“Crimestoppers has been taking crime information since our charity was formed over 32 years ago. Every day over a thousand people trust our charity with their anonymous information. Nobody will know you contacted us, only you.”

Continue Reading

Trending