Connect with us

News

Despair and anger as Crawley residents flats flooded

Up to 4 inches of water has caused extensive damage to the ground floor flats.

Published

on

Residents in the ground floor flats  of Attlee House on Lansbury Road in Broadfield have found themselves having to deal with a deluge of water flooding through the front door of the building and into some of their flats.

Terrible water damage can be seen inside the flats.

Up to 4 inches of water streamed into their homes causing major water damage throughout the ground floors.

3 flats have been affected with one resident saying:

“Imagine if there had been a baby here!”.

Lots of standing water within the entrance hall.

Residents had been told they would  have to find somewhere else to stay for the night but this raised concerns from them as to who is covering the cost.

Crawley Council has now confirmed that temporary accommodation has now been arranged for the tenants.

A spokesperson for Crawley Borough Council said:

“Our repairs team are onsite and the water is starting to subside. 3 flats have been affected and temporary accommodation has been arranged for the tenants. We have arranged for wet vac and de-humidifiers to be brought to the site, so the drying operation can begin as soon as possible.”

The entrance to the flats with the settled water that needs to be mopped up.

Workers who were making repairs on a pipe found it burst on them around 2pm.

A quick response team from both Southern Water and Crawley Borough Council were quickly despatched and the water was cut off but not before a torrent of water had made its way down the road and into the flats.

The water pumps in action.

Flats and houses in the surrounding area have now had their water turned off while repairs are made and bottled water was initially ordered but that has since been cancelled with reports saying the water should be turned back on before any bottled water would arrive.

A neighbour whose flat overlooks the ground floor of Attlee House said they saw one of the ground floor residents open their back door and water come gushing out.

A statement from Southern Water says:

“We are currently dealing with a burst on a 4” water main in Maxton Walk, Lansbury Road, Crawley.

Our contractors were already in the area proactively repairing a leak on the pipe and we believe this work caused further movement of the main, placing it under undue pressure, which resulted in the burst.

Our crew is on site working as quickly and safely as possible to repair the pipe, and our customer teams are working with all those affected.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused and thank everyone for their patience while we work on this emergency.”

Southern Water has also provided some advice to residents saying:

After a burst, customers may experience discolouration to their water supply and although it may not look nice, it is not harmful and will usually clear within 24-48 hours. We advise customers to call us on 0330 303 0368 if it does not run clear after this time. You find out further information on our website: http://bit.ly/1F62IMm

News

Six men arrested in Gossops Green Crawley after drugs and cash seized by police

Officers seized various drugs and cash in Gossops Parade and continued their investigation with a search of a house in Lavant Close on Friday (December 7).

Published

on

Three men, two aged 25 and one aged 23, from Crawley and Sutton, were arrested on suspicion of supplying a controlled drug of Class A – other and possession with intent to supply a controlled drug of class A – cocaine.

They were bailed to January 4.

A 23-year-old man from South Croydon was arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply a controlled drug of Class A – cocaine and possession of a controlled drug of class B – cannabis. He was bailed to January 3.

A 22-year-old man from Horsham was arrested on suspicion of supplying a controlled drug of Class A – other. He was bailed to January 3.

A 25-year-old man from Crawley was arrested on suspicion of supplying a controlled drug of Class A – other and possession with intent to supply a controlled drug of class A – cocaine. Bailed to 4 January.

A 25-year-old man from Sutton was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of heroin. He was bailed to January 3.

Proactive and robust action is being taken to disrupt the supply of drugs in Crawley and these are the latest in the on-going operation to target suspected drug dealers’ homes and vehicles.

Crawley policing commander, Chief Inspector Rosie Ross, said:

“We are committed to targeting people supplying class A drugs in this area, making sure they are held to account for their actions, and reducing the significant community harm which is caused.

“We have listened to the concerns of the community around issues with drugs and violence in Crawley and have put a number of resources in place as a deterrent. We have been conducting house warrants on a regular basis where a number of arrests have been made and large quantities of drugs seized.

“We will continue our partnership work with Crawley Borough Council, community wardens, community safety teams and our local MP to disrupt them.”

Anyone with information or suspicions about drug supply or dealing can report by email to 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk or call 101 quoting Operation Oxide.

You can also report anonymously through the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. If a crime is happening, please dial 999.

Continue Reading

Trending