Connect with us

News

Crawley teenagers arrested after Brighton mans death as police seek help to identify group

Sussex Police have released new CCTV footage of a group of people who could hold vital information to a Brighton assault.

Published

on

An assault involving a group of men and 34-year-old Cameron Devlin occurred in North Street, Brighton, around 3.50am on Saturday, 21 December.

Cameron from Hove, suffered facial injuries and sadly died on Boxing Day, 26 December.

Detectives continue to establish the full circumstances surrounding the assault and whether the death of Cameron is linked to the injuries he sustained.

Now Police have issued new CCTV from West Street at 3.47am on the day of the incident of a group of people they believe may hold vital information to the assault.

Investigating officer Detective Inspector Ian Still said:

“We continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the assault in Brighton and whether this is linked to the death of Cameron.

“The new footage we have released is in the vicinity of the assault and this group of people may have witnessed the incident or seen Cameron before or after.

“If you recognise yourself or anyone in this footage, we urge you to make contact with us without delay.

“You can do this via our website or 101 quoting Operation Curve or by contacting the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”

Three 18-year-old men and a 19-year-old man all from Crawley were arrested on 21 December on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent. They have been released under investigation pending further enquiries.

Lifestyle

Safety warning calls after two washing fires including one in Southgate, Crawley

Published

on

Firefighters are reminding householders of some simple safety steps when using electrical appliances such as tumble dryers and washing machines.

It follows two incidents in two days.

In the first incident firefighters were called after a pile of folded washing caught fire after being tumble-dried over the weekend.

A crew from Bognor Regis Fire Station was mobilised at 01.56am on Saturday to reports of a fire in a home on Lion Road in Pagham.

Upon arrival, firefighters found the property was heavily smoked logged, but thanks to a working smoke alarm, the three occupants had been alerted and had been able to escape from the property.

The fire started after the home owner had washed and tumble-dried some towels earlier on in the evening. These were then stacked and put in a hessian type bag in the hallway. But in the early hours of the morning, the towels, which had self-heated, began to smoke and caught fire. Fortunately, the homeowner had a working smoke alarm.

Crews removed the towels to fresh air and extinguished them.

In the second incident  at 4.10pm on Sunday, firefighters were called to a washing machine fire in a first floor flat in Imperial Mews. Two appliances from Crawley and a Surrey Fire & Rescue Service crew from Salfords were mobilised. On arrival, firefighters wearing two sets of breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using a hose reel and a CO2 extinguisher.

The fire damaged washing machine was removed from the property. Nobody was injured during the incident, but the property sustained smoke damage which meant the resident needed alternative accommodation for the night.

Simon Foster, West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service’s Performance Risk and Improvement Team Group Manager said:

“At this time of year, people are using their tumble dryers far more than at other times of the year.

“When taking clothes out of the tumble dryer, make sure you wait for laundry to cool down before putting it away. Oil residue and oxygenating chemicals from stain removing detergents can create a chemical reaction causing items like tea towels to self-heat, smoulder and could catch fire.

“Once clothes have cooled down, make sure you store them in a well-ventilated area.”  

The fire service is reminding people of the following safety tips when using electrical appliances:

•Look out for product recall notices.

•Register your appliance – appliances up to 12 years old can be registered on the Register My Appliance website.

•Don’t run appliances such as tumble dryers, washing machines or dishwashers overnight or when you are out.

•Always read the manufacturer’s instructions.

•Have your appliance serviced by a qualified engineer.

•Do not put rags or materials into a tumble dryer if they have been used to soak up flammable liquids. You can find out more about home fire safety by visiting the West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service website here: https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/fire-emergencies-and-crime/west-sussex-fire-and-rescue-service/home-fire-safety/electrical-and-heating-appliance-safety-advice/

Continue Reading

Trending