Connect with us

News

Crawley Labour launches campaign for more police officers

Crawley Labour activists were joined by leading Shadow Cabinet Member Emily Thornberry as they launched a campaign to get more police back on Crawley’s streets.

Published

on

Emily Thornberry visits Crawley last Saturday (20th Oct)

Following the rise of violence on Crawley’s streets over recent months, Crawley Labour has launched a petition to ensure the voice of local residents is clearly heard by Sussex’s Police and Crime Commissioner, who is responsible for setting the budget for the town’s police.

The petition comes just weeks after Sussex Police were publicly celebrating their largest intake of new police officers and PCSOs.

Crawley Labour say that since 2010, the number of police officers in the local area has declined by over 700 and Crawley has lost its designated neighbourhood PCSOs, while residents across the town have complained about decreasing police responsiveness, drug selling moving out into residential areas and increasing knife-crime.

The petition from them calls upon the Police and Crime Commissioner to ensure Crawley that is allocated the officers it needs to restore a meaningful response for those who contact the police, and to end the wave of drugs and violence which has recently plagued the town.

Cllr Peter Lamb, Crawley Council Leader and Parliamentary Candidate for Crawley, said:

“It’s common sense that if you take hundreds of police officers off of our streets, law and order is going to suffer. Local residents regularly complain to me about the declining responsiveness from the police and I’m determined to ensure that Crawley’s voice is heard loudly and clearly by Sussex’s Police and Crime Commissioner.”

The Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner was approached for comment.

 

 

 

News

BREAKING NEWS: Hard shoulder could return to M23

Published

on

In a shocking turn a meeting with the Transport Secretary Grant Shapp with Crawley’s MP Henry Smith has revealed that the proposed new ‘Smart Motorway’ could be reverted back to a three lane plus hard shoulder one.

Meeting with the Transport Secretary and the Roads Minister Baroness Vere, Mr Smith expressed his concerns over the safety and construction period disruptions occuring on the M23.

It comes only a week after the Crawley MP raised the issue in the House Of Commons.

But in a meeting today the Transport Secretary revealed that an urgent review which is currently being undertaken could lead to the reinstatement of the hard shoulder along the M23.

Mr Smith said:

“I was pleased to hear the Transport Secretary give assurances that the works on the M23 will be expedited so there will not be another six month delay. I was also assured that the ongoing works will also take account of the review and if that means reinstating the hard shoulder or adding extra refuges and signage I would support it.”

Speaking exclusively to CN24 Mr Smith said that he had been assured that a decision on Smart Motorways would be made before the M23 works finished allowing whatever decision made on them to be implemented straight away.

The news will have a mixed reaction to the many commuters who use the M23 every day and have had to endure long queues.

But if the hard shoulder returns it will open new questions over the huge expense that many will see having been a waste of money.

Continue Reading

Trending