Connect with us

Lifestyle

County Council still unable to commit to when flooded Southgate, Crawley underpass will be fixed

Published

on

Photo: Lynne Garwood

It has caused a lot of consternation from residents as well as worry from parents whose children have to cross the busy roads it cuts underneath. But there appears to be no urgency to a resolution from Sussex County Council.

The bypass which cuts underneath the A23 (Crawley Avenue) has been flooded on previous occasions, and this time it has become soo flooded that it is completely unusable without people donning their wading boots.

Photo: Lynne Garwood

Most worryingly are the concerns from residents over how school children are now seen running across the dual carriageway, rather than walking up to the nearest crossing.

One resident, Lynne Garwood said:

“No way can any child get through it so they’re all running across the dual carriage way, there will be a death soon.”

Sussex County Council said that they were working to resolve the issue as quickly as they could but would not commit to when this would happen.

Instead they said they were ‘continuing to investigate the cause’ and urged pedestrians to use crossing further up and down the road.

A West Sussex County Council spokesperson said:

“We are working to resolve the flooding issue as soon as possible. Meanwhile, we would urge people to please use the designated pedestrian crossing points further along the road, to the north and south. We appreciate this will cause inconvenience, but it is the safest option.

“We went to the subway following reports of flooding last week but it was not flooded at the time. We received further reports last night and are continuing to investigate the cause. We apologise for any inconvenience.”

The response is unlikely to placate residents who are now having to make detours rather than use an underpass that was designed to assist them.

Business

Furniture Village opens its doors in Crawley’s County Oak Retail Park

Published

on

Crawley welcomes Furniture Village who will open a brand-new store in County Oak retail park this Boxing Day.

The new location offers a Carpetright concession, providing a one-stop-shop for customers looking to update their homes.

Visitors to the new Furniture Village store will be invited to create their ‘home in one’, by exploring collections for every room of the house, from sofas to beds to dining.

Charlie Harrison, Commercial Director at Furniture Village, comments:

“With much of the UK under lockdown, I’m delighted we’ve been able to open our new store in Crawley. County Oak is a fantastic shopping destination and the ideal choice for Furniture Village.

“It’s been a challenging year for everyone, but I am incredibly proud of the Furniture Village team which continues to offer industry-leading quality, choice and service. As well as Family Retailer of the Year, we’ve also been awarded National Bed Retailer of the Year so I’m particularly looking forward to welcoming customers to our new bed department.”

The store will see a team of 11 expert sales consultants offering valuable insights and advice to customers, all made possible thanks to enhanced Covid-19 safety measures.

These include temperature checks, PPE for all staff and hand sanitisation stations, along with an appointment booking system which can be accessed via the website.

Charlie Harrison, Commercial Director at Furniture Village, adds:

“Customer safety is still, and will continue to be, a priority for us. The feedback from all of our existing stores continues to be overwhelmingly positive, with the appointment booking system providing reassurance and exceptional service for customers.”

The store will open at 9am on Saturday 26th December 2020. Opening offers include Sale discounts of up to 50% plus an additional £50 off every £500 spent.

Continue Reading

Trending