Connect with us

News

Council grant gives £5k boost to Crawley Irish Festival

The 23rd annual Crawley Irish Festival takes place at The Hawth on Sunday 26 August from 12pm.

Published

on

The 2018 Crawley Irish Festival has received a boost of £5,000 through a community grant awarded by Crawley Borough Council to the Celtic and Irish Cultural Society (CICS).

The grant was handed to John Nolan, Chairman of CICS, by Councillor Brenda Burgess, shadow Cabinet member for Community Engagement, at a launch event for the festival held at the Town Hall on Tuesday (14 August) and attended by the Mayor of Crawley, Councillor Carlos Castro; councillors; Ruaidhri Dowling, First Secretary (Irish Community and Cultural) at the Irish Embassy in London; cyclist Katie-George Dunlevy, Paralympic gold medallist and double world champion; event sponsors and members of the Irish community.

More news: Crawley vegan loses over 4 stone after joining Broadfield Weight Watchers

The 23rd annual Crawley Irish Festival takes place at The Hawth on Sunday 26 August from midday.

The day before, local Irish Folk band Straw Dogs will play on the bandstand in Memorial Gardens from 2pm. Both events are free to attend.

Mayor of Crawley, Councillor Carlos Castro, said:

“We are blessed to live in a multicultural town. By inviting people to events like this helps to bring communities together.

“I wish you all the best for your event.”


Mr Nolan said:

“We are absolutely delighted with this funding award from Crawley Borough Council. Alongside the Irish Government’s Emigrant Support Programme Grant and the funding from our main sponsors it will go a long way to meeting the running costs of this year’s festival.

“The festival promotes all that’s good about our culture so that Irish and non-Irish can be part of. We strive to be inclusive in bringing cultures and communities together. Crawley is continually being developed and has a vibrant mix of cultures with which events like the Crawley Irish Festival flourish.

“We want to make the whole day a success and give all visitors an enjoyable experience which can only be good for the town and its inhabitants. We are all looking forward to this year’s festival.”

CICS promotes knowledge of Celtic culture, arts, music and sport; holds events throughout the year; supports and enriches cultural activities; and supports and develops community involvement.

For more details on the Crawley Irish Festival visit www.celtic-irish.co.uk

News

West Sussex raises alert level as more coronavirus cases are confirmed

Published

on

The current alert level in West Sussex has been escalated to “yellow” (raised local alertness) which means there is an increasing number of confirmed cases of coronavirus. This is in line with the increase in cases being seen nationally. There were 116 confirmed cases in West Sussex in the last seven days.

The County Council has introduced a traffic light system (green, yellow, amber and red) to keep residents informed about the current rate of confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the county.

With the rise in cases, residents are being asked to take preventative action to stop the spread of the virus.

This includes following the “Rule of Six” which means you should not meet in groups of more than six people from outside your household both indoors and outdoors.

Residents should continue to wash hands regularly, practise social distancing, wear a face mask when appropriate and get tested when they have symptoms.

Amanda Jupp, West Sussex County Council Cabinet Member for Adults and Health, said:

“So far in West Sussex we have seen a relatively low number of cases of coronavirus. However in line with national trends there has been an increase in recent weeks of the number of people who have tested positive.

“It is important we do all we can to keep numbers as low as possible. In line with government guidance, please do not meet in groups of more than six people. It is also important to continue to wash your hands regularly, keep socially distanced, wear a face mask where appropriate and get tested when you have symptoms.

“I am very grateful to all residents for their continued efforts to ensure the county remains safe. We have done so well to control the spread of COVID-19 in the county up until now and we are keen to keep it that way to ensure we can #KeepWestSussexSafe.”

Click here for more information.

Continue Reading

Trending