Connect with us

News

Cottesmore Hotel express thanks for local support after ‘devastating’ fire

The Hotel, Golf & Country Club will be closed today after yesterday’s fire damaged 50% of the club house.

Published

on

A fire that quickly spread and damaged half of a large building at Cottesmore Hotel Golf & Country Club yesterday (11 June) has left locals in shock.

A spokesperson for West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service issued this statement today:

“The fire service was called to reports of a fire alarm at a country club in Buchan Hill at 17.03 yesterday afternoon. Two appliances mobilised and were met with a well-developed fire.

“They asked for a further 10 fire engines, several specialist vehicles including the Ariel Ladder Platform, and specialist officers. The fire has damaged 50 per cent of a large building.

“Crews continued to tackle the fire and withdrew, due to worsening conditions.

More news: ‘Total devastation’ after fire at Cottesmore Golf and Country Club

“Crews remain at the scene this morning damping down. A fire investigation is underway.”

Thankfully, there are no injuries.

Cottesmore Hotel have now spoken out about the incident via social media.

A spokesperson said via Twitter:

“Due to a devastating fire in the club house Cottesmore will be closed today. All the guests and staff are safe. Thank you for everyone’s support through this difficult time.”

It is not currently known how long the club is expected to be closed for but more information should come to light as investigations continue.

The Hotel is currently closed off at the entrance and staff are only allowing very limited access.

A further statement has been released by West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service:

“An investigation is underway by firefighters after a blaze at a country club in Pease Pottage overnight.

“The call about the incident in Buchan Hill came in at 5.03pm yesterday afternoon (June 11), and two appliances from Crawley Fire Station were mobilised.

“On arrival, crews found the building well alight and requested further assistance.

“This led to ten fire engines being in attendance, along with several specialist vehicles including the Ariel Ladder Platform, and specialist officers.

“It’s estimated that 50 per cent of the building was damaged by the fire.

“Everyone who had been in the building was accounted for and there were no reported injuries.”

Group Commander Richard Davy running the operation said:

“Our officers are remaining at the scene today damping down, while an investigation into the cause of the fire is now underway.

“I would like to thank our dedicated firefighters and teams who swiftly acted following the initial call about this incident, and have worked through the night to keep the fire contained.

“I would also like to thank the Hazardous Area Response Team (HART), and the management of the hotel for their full co-operation.”

Keep up to date with all the latest news.

Follow us on:

Twitter: @crawleynews24

Facebook: Crawleynews24

listen live

News

West Sussex raises alert level as more coronavirus cases are confirmed

Published

on

The current alert level in West Sussex has been escalated to “yellow” (raised local alertness) which means there is an increasing number of confirmed cases of coronavirus. This is in line with the increase in cases being seen nationally. There were 116 confirmed cases in West Sussex in the last seven days.

The County Council has introduced a traffic light system (green, yellow, amber and red) to keep residents informed about the current rate of confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the county.

With the rise in cases, residents are being asked to take preventative action to stop the spread of the virus.

This includes following the “Rule of Six” which means you should not meet in groups of more than six people from outside your household both indoors and outdoors.

Residents should continue to wash hands regularly, practise social distancing, wear a face mask when appropriate and get tested when they have symptoms.

Amanda Jupp, West Sussex County Council Cabinet Member for Adults and Health, said:

“So far in West Sussex we have seen a relatively low number of cases of coronavirus. However in line with national trends there has been an increase in recent weeks of the number of people who have tested positive.

“It is important we do all we can to keep numbers as low as possible. In line with government guidance, please do not meet in groups of more than six people. It is also important to continue to wash your hands regularly, keep socially distanced, wear a face mask where appropriate and get tested when you have symptoms.

“I am very grateful to all residents for their continued efforts to ensure the county remains safe. We have done so well to control the spread of COVID-19 in the county up until now and we are keen to keep it that way to ensure we can #KeepWestSussexSafe.”

Click here for more information.

Continue Reading

Trending