Connect with us


17 year-old charged with Crawley mans murder

The victim has since been formally identified as 24-year-old Arnold Potter, from Maidenbower, Crawley.



[Victim was 24-year-old Arnold Potter ]

Post mortem results returned on Saturday (17 November) confirmed he died from being stabbed to the torso.

The incident occurred in nearby Watson Close around 6.40pm on Thursday (15 November), and despite the best efforts of members of the public and emergency services who attempted CPR, Arnold was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

A 17-year-old boy from Crawley presented himself to Crawley Police Station on Friday afternoon (16 November) and was arrested on suspicion of murder.

The Crown Prosecution Service has since authorised charges of murder, possession of an offensive weapon in a public place (a knife) and possession with intent to supply a Class A drug (cocaine).

The defendant has been remanded in custody ahead of a hearing at Brighton Magistrates’ Court on Monday (19 November). Due to his age he cannot be identified for legal reasons.

Three people arrested in connection with the incident have been released but remain under investigation pending further enquiries.
They are:

A 20-year-old man from Crawley, arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender and possession of cannabis;
A 17-year-old boy from Crawley, arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender;
A 24-year-old man from Crawley, arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.
Four further people arrested have since been released without charge and will face no further action. They are:
A 47-year-old man from Crawley, arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender;
A 44-year-old woman from Crawley, arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender;
A 17-year-old boy from Crawley, arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender;
A 17-year-old boy from Crowborough, arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Richardson said:

“This was a tragic incident which has had a devastating effect on the community, and in particular on the friends and family of the victim. Our thoughts are with them at this difficult time.

“We have carried out numerous house-to-house enquiries in the area and we are grateful for the cooperation we have received so far.

“However, we are still appealing to anyone who saw what happened, who may have CCTV or other footage, or who knows anything about this tragic incident, to contact us.

“There will continue to be a police presence in the area as enquiries continue, and we would encourage anyone with any concerns to approach and speak to our officers.

“You can report it online or call 101, quoting Operation Horseman.

“Alternatively, you contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or report it online.”


Crawley Man who was trying to guide youths away from crime jailed for causing serious injury by dangerous driving

A man has been sentenced to 18 months in prison after pleading guilty to casing serious injury by dangerous driving following a collision in Horley in September 2018.



Iqubal Khan, 35, also pleaded guilty to failing to stop and failing to report an injury collision when he appeared at Guildford Crown Court on 4 February.

Khan was also disqualified from driving for three years and nine months.

Khan was driving along Shipley Bridge Lane around 6.10pm on 23 September 2018 when his car, a Toyota Corolla, was involved in a head-on collision with a Range Rover Sport.

He fled the scene immediately following the collision, leaving one of his passengers behind with serious leg injuries. He also failed to report the collision.

It later emerged that the car he was driving was also dangerously overloaded with excess passengers, with four adults squashed on the rear seat.

The other driver escaped uninjured, while the other passengers suffered minor injuries as a result of the collision.

Only recently Khan had expressed how much he wanted to help change the corrupt course of youngsters lives that drugs and knifes had put them on.

Khan was arrested on 29 November 2018 after officers tracked him down through DNA left in the vehicle when he fled.

Sergeant Geoff Longstaff, who investigated the collision, said:

“Not only was Khan driving dangerously at the time of the collision, his car was also excessively overloaded. He then fled the scene, not even bothering to check whether his passengers were unharmed. One of his passengers sustained serious leg injuries and is still suffering with the effects of the collision to this day.

“It didn’t take long to find out he had been driving, thanks to statements from his passengers and the other driver, and now he is off our roads and in prison where he belongs for the complete lack of regard and remorse he has shown.”

Sgt Longstaff added:

“The sentence handed to Khan demonstrates our determination to ensure that those who use Surrey’s roads dangerously and irresponsibly and put the lives of others at risk when they get behind the wheel, will be dealt with robustly.”

Continue Reading