Connect with us

Featured

Crawley residents furious over new Currys PC World Christmas advert

Published

on

It’s still early November but already the Christmas adverts have started to invade our TV’s.  But just as they have begun already one is angering residents.

As part of their Christmas campaign Currys PC world has created a series of adverts covering different offers and it is one of these that has really riled up some residents in Crawley.

The advert in question shows two parents telling their children that this year they want to do a more traditional Christmas with lots of talking and sitting around a fire singing carols before bursting into laughter and leading them into the living room where there is a brand new television.  The advert ends with an employee saying, “It’s what Christmas is all about.”

You can watch the advert below.

The advert has already angered several Crawley residents.

Cody Johnston from Tilgate said:

“I don’t want my kids seeing that as it makes me feel like a bad parent because I can’t afford expensive items that they sell.  I feel completely embarrassed.”

Beverly Knowles from Three Bridges said:

“So if I don’t spend lots of money then we will have a bad Christmas?  It’s not what Christmas is all about, who do they think they are telling us that?”

Crawley MP Henry Smith said:

“Currys PC World are an important local employer and I’m a customer myself but their ad saying that Christmas can only be enjoyed unless we buy expensive gifts is irresponsible. The picture of disappointed kids on Christmas morning is no laughing matter; parents shouldn’t be put under this kind of pressure. I don’t want to sound like Scrooge but Currys PC have misjudged Season’s spirit.”

Curry’s Pc World were not available for comment at time of publication.

Let us know what you think of the advert and will it change the way you think about shopping this Christmas.

Keep up to date with all the latest Crawley & Gatwick news!

Twitter: @crawleynews24

Facebook: Crawleynews24

Continue Reading
11 Comments

11 Comments

1. Lewis Barker

8th November 2017 at 10:28 am

Disgusting advert. Shows what nonsense they want us to believe these days.

2. terry

8th November 2017 at 12:41 pm

I was going to go there later but not now.

3. Michelle Platt

8th November 2017 at 2:00 pm

I’ve watched this about 5 times now and each time it makes me more and more annoyed. Im guessing they were trying to be funny but what they have actually done is demonstrated just how bad christmas has become when it comes to retail. How are we supposed to instill morals in our children when we have irresponsible national companies portraying attitudes like this on our tv’s. An absolute disgrace and whoever signed off on this advert being allowed should be ashamed of themselves. It’s not clever marketing and i for one will not be using their stores while they continue marketing this way.

4. Douglas

16th November 2017 at 10:19 am

Its completely unacceptable, sent to their customer care site, no reply

5. Gill

24th November 2017 at 11:12 pm

I also complained as I find this ad offensive. I’m not suggesting that this is wrong purely because I’m a Christian but because Christmas is about more than a TV set whoever you are. Millions of people of all faiths and none celebrate the good things of Christmas, love, joy, peace, family time, kindness, giving etc etc. So no, this is not what Christmad is all about!

6. Fran

29th November 2017 at 8:21 pm

I also am cross that a tv is apparently what christmas is susposed to be about. Nonsense. For some it is seeing family they rarely see and maybe welcoming new members. For the singles it is maybe a time for reflection and pleasing oneself. No way is it about tv. Get the monopoly out and interact. Maybe even turn off wifi and phone ban it.

7. Charley

30th November 2017 at 8:38 pm

The worst advert I’ve ever seen! CHRISTMAS IS about spending time talking and playing games with family and friends and yes time with people we love . NOT sitting around a box all day not talking to eachother watching tv. I never leave comments but this advert really really annoys me. It’s so unattractive and I hope people ain’t all like this . Enjoy the time with your loved ones . Life’s too short x

8. Louisa Wilson

1st December 2017 at 7:53 am

Unfortunately, this is what Christmas is all about for a great many families. Fortunately, not ours, though. I deplore the rise of commercialism and any retailer that celebrates this. My new washer (old one broken down) will not now be coming from Currys. Anywhere but…

9. Maria

12th December 2017 at 4:52 pm

I have just seen this advert and I must say I’m as disgusted as everyone else. Who are they to say how Christmas should be enjoyed! Some people simply cannot afford to shower their children with gifts and children should also be taught not to expect that! It’s not what Christmas is about at all and maybe for some people gathering around the fire, singing songs and spending time with loved ones is the perfect way to spend Christmas. It’s a very insensitive advert that should be removed from TV.

10. Karen

16th December 2017 at 12:05 am

I think this is the worst advert I’ve ever seen. Urgh. Horribly cynical, and no, it’s not what Christmas is all about. What nincompoops!

11. mr speak

30th December 2017 at 7:34 pm

Even more annoying than this is the couple of Currys adverts on tv recently where the dummy presenters seem to have been trained to say HAITCH instead of the correct AITCH. WTF?? Stick your HAITCHDEETEEVEE and your HAITCHPEE printers sideways up your corporate arses, you morons.